Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Now that's a headline
Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 am by Kexer

» Hey guys wasup
Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am by Kexer

» Random Task
Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm by Andrew.C

» video Links
Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm by Andrew.C

» Caucus Caucus Caucus
Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm by Andrew.C

» Just Checking.
Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 am by Andrew.C

» Pill that gets you a tangy tan.
Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm by MRac MC

» Other RTSs that aren't SC.
Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 am by Andrew.C

» The Dark Ages ended?
Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 am by MRac MC

Poll

So, how many people still visit the forum?

Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME Green_19100%Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME Green_20 100% [ 6 ]
Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME Green_190%Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME Green_20 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME

5 posters

Go down

Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME Empty Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME

Post by Simmo! Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:28 am

So here I am at home, on one of my days off, doing some uni work, when I come across one of the activities that I have to complete and have submitted by next week. Now, they weekly activities are normally ridiculously simple, as they realise that it's difficult enough for us to start a new job, make the transition to shift work, etc; This activity was clearly meant to be light-hearted and a bit of fun. Effectively, it went along these lines:

Officer A is conducting an investigation, during which he has to interview a suspect on ERISP (our audio/video recording machine). One of the detectives offers to do the interview for him. Officer A is relieved that he does not have to conduct the interview. Is Officer A a loser?

This would have been all well and good, except for the fact that word 'loser' above, was spelled 'looser'. This immediately infuriated me. What made things even worse, is the three students that have gotten a bit ahead and have already posted their answers on the university forum, have ALL responded along the lines of: 'Officer A is definitely a looser because...'

Not one single person seems to have picked up on this. It may seem ridiculous, but this really bugs me. It might seem elitist of me, but is it too much to ask that my fucking university learns how to fucking spell?!

I think the reason that it is so infuriating, is probably because 'looser' is an actual word (obviously meaning 'too loose', or 'unfastened'). If they had said, for example, 'Is Officer A a lozer?' I don't think I would have been so annoyed.

Anyway, I'd like to open this thread up so all of you can have a rant about the way people spell things (most likely on the internet or through SMS) that infuriates you. I'm gonna start with the obvious one, and I know Marc and Tom will agree with me:

I am infuriated when people use the wrong 'there'. Theres three, people: 'There', 'Their', and 'They're'. Learn the fucking difference, apply it to your lives, and we will all be a little richer for the experience.
Simmo!
Simmo!
CBD Headbuster

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME Empty Re: Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME

Post by Nick Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:51 am

Disdain

...if anyone wants me, I'll be in my room.
Nick
Nick
Super-Corrupt Supreme Overload/Extreme-Executive Producer

Male
Number of posts : 683
Registration date : 2008-02-21

https://nocrevushere.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME Empty Re: Spelling that confuses and INFURIATES ME

Post by Andrew.C Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:06 am

They actually used the word loser/looser in the question? That sounds totally lame.

Yeah, the fact that it is another word does kinda annoy me; that’s a good point. But on the issue of spelling in general, I totally disagree. Especially when it comes to those stupid ass words e.g. the 3 ‘there’s (you see what I did there?): I say change the freaken words. How F’ed up is this language that we can’t think of 3 distinct words to mean 3 distinct topics, especially such common words as those. There’s no other excuse other than complete and utter incompetence on behalf of the Language Lords who made up English.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Number of posts : 1622

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:00 am

You mean the everyday people in the street?

Man i hate those guys- there soch loosers
Glenjamin
Glenjamin
He's A Regular Charlie Church

Number of posts : 772
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:36 am

Glenjamin wrote:You mean the everyday people in the street?
Yes. Yes I did.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:39 am

Well, we will just have to punish you for saying what you mean!
Nick
Nick

Male
Number of posts : 683

https://nocrevushere.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:44 am

Go ahead, do your worst.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:28 am

Nick wrote:Disdain

...if anyone wants me, I'll be in my room.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH
Roll on floor laughi Roll on floor laughi Roll on floor laughi Roll on floor laughi
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male
Number of posts : 409
Humor : Sardonic
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down