Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Now that's a headline
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 am by Kexer

» Hey guys wasup
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am by Kexer

» Random Task
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm by Andrew.C

» video Links
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm by Andrew.C

» Caucus Caucus Caucus
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm by Andrew.C

» Just Checking.
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 am by Andrew.C

» Pill that gets you a tangy tan.
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm by MRac MC

» Other RTSs that aren't SC.
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 am by Andrew.C

» The Dark Ages ended?
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 am by MRac MC

Poll

So, how many people still visit the forum?

Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Green_19100%Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Green_20 100% [ 6 ]
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Green_190%Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Green_20 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2

+2
Tom
Andrew.C
6 posters

Go down

Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Empty Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2

Post by Andrew.C Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:55 pm

In some kind of attempt to make amends for my tendency towards throwing tantrums that suck the fun out of any potential discussion, I present the first two topics in the pimonthly science/philosophy convention, or Pi-Mon-Sci-Phi-Con!

Our second insight into the deep, untrawled expanses of our own meta-subconscious, and then back out sideways to confront our nagging hyper-mortality, is brought to you by Marc Redfearn’s big brain. Check out the big brains on Marc.

Is there such thing as a small (or big) mistake, or is a mistake only as small (or big) as its consequence(s)?
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Number of posts : 1622
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Empty Re: Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2

Post by Tom Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:24 am

Holy shit. I don't know which i like more... i am trembling with excitement
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male
Number of posts : 409
Humor : Sardonic
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Empty Re: Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2

Post by Simmo! Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:25 am

Nah, there's totally such a thing as a small/big mistake. I present the following argument:

Scenario 1: You are driving down the road in a car. Ahead of you, another car is stopped at red traffic lights. You do not hit the brakes, this is a mistake. You crash into the rear of the other car.

Scenario 2: You are driving down the road in a car. Ahead of you, another car is stopped at red traffic lights. You realise that you didn't have brakes fitted to your car, this is a mistake. You crash into the rear of the other car.

Two scenarios, same consequences. However, not hitting the brakes is a small mistake compared to not having brakes fitted at all.

I suppose one way of measuring a mistake would be to look at how easy it was to make? For example, ruining a cars engine by accidentally putting petrol in instead of diesel is an easy mistake to make, whereas ruining a cars engine by accidentally pouring jelly crystals in is significantly harder, in my opinion making it a bigger mistake.
Simmo!
Simmo!
CBD Headbuster

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:20 am

See now i would argue that your car driving scenario is still proportioned given the possible outcomes of the mistake. Not braking with the car in front of you has a set outcome i.e. you crash into that car. Not fitting brakes, while in this instance means that the same thing happens could have had far more dire circumstances that killed many people. I would argue that is the only reason why it is a bigger mistake.
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:17 am

how about these scenarios:

1) Looking at another hot chick while walking in Hornsby (small mistake)

2) ditching my wife to go sleep with said other woman (huge mistake)

Yes, there are differences in degrees of mistake!
Glenjamin
Glenjamin
He's A Regular Charlie Church

Number of posts : 772
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:03 am

Re:Glen

But the point of the question was to ask whether the consequences of an act define the mistake or whether there is some inherent property of an act that makes it a mistake (I think). And you haven't dealt with either concept; you just gave us two mistakes! What the hell?!

If you don't stop posting in topics that you've clearly only skim-read that last few lines of the last post... then I am going to freaken fire you.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Simmo! Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:25 am

Tom wrote:See now i would argue that your car driving scenario is still proportioned given the possible outcomes of the mistake. Not braking with the car in front of you has a set outcome i.e. you crash into that car. Not fitting brakes, while in this instance means that the same thing happens could have had far more dire circumstances that killed many people. I would argue that is the only reason why it is a bigger mistake.

That one was really more of a stepping stone to my other point, the one where I suggested that a mistake might be measured by the ease of which it is made. Not hitting the brakes is easy enough to do, not FITTING brakes is a pretty massive fuckup.

Any thoughts?
Simmo!
Simmo!
CBD Headbuster

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:08 am

Re: Andy

I just don't have time to truly get involved at this point, give me 2 more days?
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:15 am

Fine...
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:11 pm

Glenjamin wrote:Re: Andy

I just don't have time to truly get involved at this point, give me 2 more days?

Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Seinfieldvo9zp8
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male
Number of posts : 742

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:28 am

Simmo! wrote:
Tom wrote:See now i would argue that your car driving scenario is still proportioned given the possible outcomes of the mistake. Not braking with the car in front of you has a set outcome i.e. you crash into that car. Not fitting brakes, while in this instance means that the same thing happens could have had far more dire circumstances that killed many people. I would argue that is the only reason why it is a bigger mistake.

That one was really more of a stepping stone to my other point, the one where I suggested that a mistake might be measured by the ease of which it is made. Not hitting the brakes is easy enough to do, not FITTING brakes is a pretty massive fuckup.

Any thoughts?

So the ease with which the mistake is made is the defining factor of the magnitude of the mistake? I don't agree. The ease with which someone makes a mistake can be attributed more to their level of their intellegence and awareness than the ease of the act itself. If the mistake is to be judged based on criteria set by the person making the mistake then ok. But i don't think that the mistake itself can be judged at certain levels simply because the person making it is either incredibly intellegent or incredibly stupid or somwhere between. A freaking dumbarse (say Eddy from BBQ's) might think that wearing a shirt dosed on jet fuel through a forest fire is a good idea. He may seriously like the way the jet fuel makes his muscels bulge (or something equally retarded... fuck i hate that guy). The fact that he is walking through a forest fire may not even occur to him as silly while wearing jet fuel. This, for him, is an easy mistake to make. That doesn't mean it isn't a FREAKING HUGE MISTAKE.

I am too sick to think of anything else, argument at rest.
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:27 am

Tom... sick? That's not cool. What's the dilleo, T-bomb?
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:36 am

Me very sick. I'm even on anti biotics
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:08 am

You didn’t eat some cheap meat did you, Tom?
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Rancid10

Or an old, forgotten ten foot hoagie you found behind the radiator?
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Hogie310

Or 10 pounds of spoiled shrimp?
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Frozen10

Is this how Tom feels about now?
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Meatat10

Then bite back!
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Dogbar10

“Stupid rancid meat attack! Lousy parasites...”
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:55 am

Tom wrote:Me very sick. I'm even on anti biotics
So it was you who made me sick! (or someone we both encountered but I'd rather blame you).
What do I have Tom?
Pirate
Groove Champion
Groove Champion
I think it's a video game.

Male
Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:36 am

Possibly tonisilitis..... i don't but you never know
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:15 am

I would have gone with dementia- do you talk to people only you can see trev?
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:07 pm

Trev does lots of things. Why shouldn't he?!
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:27 pm

Because many of them are illegal.
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Sat Dec 13, 2008 4:55 pm

not many, not even a few. All he does is fiddle with the kiddies.. its his persian flaw
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:02 am

Which is quite illegal, and leads to prosecution along several lines. Concordantly many things he does are illegal.

Your witness...
Yay! Less stalemate...ness. Section 2 Hutzpointingkd2
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:25 am

Glen, are you aware that you're not wearing any pants?
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:32 am

What the?
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down