Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Now that's a headline
Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 am by Kexer

» Hey guys wasup
Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am by Kexer

» Random Task
Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm by Andrew.C

» video Links
Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm by Andrew.C

» Caucus Caucus Caucus
Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm by Andrew.C

» Just Checking.
Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 am by Andrew.C

» Pill that gets you a tangy tan.
Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm by MRac MC

» Other RTSs that aren't SC.
Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 am by Andrew.C

» The Dark Ages ended?
Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 am by MRac MC

Poll

So, how many people still visit the forum?

Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 Green_19100%Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 Green_20 100% [ 6 ]
Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 Green_190%Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 Green_20 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Is there a size bigger that jumbo?

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is there a size bigger that jumbo?

Post by Groove Champion Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:27 am

Carbs are non essential. I do eat them though because they are yummy. I'm just saying you don't need them. There is nothing in carbs you need, they are just energy but you can get energy from protein and fat too.
Groove Champion
Groove Champion
I think it's a video game.

Male
Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Is there a size bigger that jumbo? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is there a size bigger that jumbo?

Post by Groove Champion Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:30 am

Andrew.C wrote:
Plant protein amino acids incomplete? I know all those words but that sentence makes no sense. But I think I get what you mean, I just wanted rag on stuff to pretend that I know things...

I think I worded that bit wrong. The amino acids are complete but they don't create useable protein by themselves. Or something like that. Leave me alone.

EDIT: Found something on Wiki (everything on Wiki is FACT DAMN IT!)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDCAAS

It explains it in the part about the limitations of the system.
Groove Champion
Groove Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:50 am

The PDCAAS value is different in measuring the quality of protein from the protein efficiency ratio (PER) and the biological value (BV) methods.[2] The PER was based upon the amino acid requirements of growing rats, which noticeably differ to that of humans. The PDCAAS allows evaluation of food protein quality based on the needs of humans as it measures the quality of a protein based on the amino acid requirements (adjusted for digestibility) of a 2- to 5-year old child (considered the most nutritionally-demanding age group). The BV method uses nitrogen absorption as a basis. However, it does not take into account certain factors influencing the digestion of the protein and is of limited use for application to human protein requirements because what is measured is maximal potential of quality and not a true estimate of quality at requirement level. Nevertheless, BV can be used to assess requirements of protein derived from foods with known quality differences and measure the proportion of absorbed nitrogen which is retained and presumably utilized for protein synthesis as an accurate indicator for protein measurement.[3][4]

The PDCAAS method may also still be considered incomplete, since human diets, except in times of famine, almost never contain only one kind of protein—however, calculating the PDCAAS of a diet solely based on the PDCAAS of the individual constituents is impossible. This is because one food may provide an abundance of an amino acid that the other is missing, which means that in this case the PDCAAS of the diet is higher than that of any one of the constituents. To arrive at the final result, all individual amino acids would have to be taken into account, though, so the PDCAAS of each constituent is largely useless.

Sounds to me that this whole ranking system is really only quite a rough guide.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male
Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:55 am

Very much so. I don't really pay it much attention but if I was a vegetarian I would.

I only brought it up due to the doubt people seemed to have about breast milk being the best food for us.
Groove Champion
Groove Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:14 am

Okay, 1 sec...

*hurls Biochem textbook onto table* (Hey, it cost $150, I gotta use it for something)

Ah screw it, I'm not looking through that. Carbs are essential, trust me (who wouldn't?). But yes you're right, they are primarily (if not only) for energy, but because of various unfortunate evolutionary reasons the body isn't clever at all. e.g. I was rather shocked and disappointed, yet intrigued, to learn that the brain (indeed the whole nervous system in fact, and not to mention Red blood cells) can ONLY make use of glucose (derived from carbs, essentially [ignoring ketone bodies which adds another level of complexity]) as an energy source. This is in contrast with cardiac muscle, the king of all tissues, which consumes everything it can get its hands on to keep on pumping. Unfortunately your brain cells are way more picky, which is why you die, very quickly, without food.

But I get your jibe about people's aversion to breast milk. Weird.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Number of posts : 1622

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:25 am

Put your fancy facts away, theres no place for them here.

Interesting about the brain needing glucose.

There has been civilisations that have lived entirely off protein and fat but the body converts protein to sugar if you eat it without fat so maybe it can also do it by choice to feed the brain.
Groove Champion
Groove Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:32 am

I'm don't intend to attack carbs it just sort of went that way. Carbs aren't bad but processed carbs are evil things that cause bad cholesterol. All the while we're told its eggs etc that do it while we stuff our faces with processed carbs and cholesterol lowering drugs (and those stupid margarines etc that have crap added to lower cholesterol).

Ranting is fun.
Groove Champion
Groove Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:41 am

I hear the term "processed" as regards to food a lot and make the quick association of processed = bad. What does "processed" actually mean in terms of food?
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:15 am

Hmmmmm, yeah, looks like I probably should have looked through the text book rather than just saying stuff. Turns out you can't trust me (hey, who knew?). So all that brain stuff is true, seriously, but yes, I get your point about the body being able to convert amino acids into glucose, which would probably feed the brain and yadda yadda, so in that sense carbs are possibly inessential in theory (but we all know what works in theory). Good point. But it's exceedingly more complex than those nutritionists make it out to be and I would propose that to consume no carbs would result in you not having a good time.

There were cultures who ate nothing but protein and fat? Really? In this part of the country, at this time of year, localised entirely within your kitchen?....may I see it?
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:02 am

....no.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:32 am

I just heard that Australia has the second highest life expectancy thing in the world, behind Japan. I wonder if that's because we have so many Japanese here?

Yet I've also heard recently that Australia is now the fattest (two t's? This language is shit) country as well.

Statistics to prove anything...
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:41 am

Well, Nick, your 2nd of two GC topics is finally gone out to stud in the Crud Bucket (because it hadn't attracted a post since Jun). But at least it's at No.1 in the Crud Bucket! Two thumbs

You need to get some more topics in the GC, like the old Nick, who got mad at those hippie vegans. So you gotta scrunch your rage up into a tight little ball, so it can be released at an appropriate time. Like when daddy hit the referee that time with a whisky bottle. Remember that? When daddy hit the referee?

Anyways, cup o tea??
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:44 am

You have been dying to say cup o tea haven't you??!?
Nick
Nick
Super-Corrupt Supreme Overload/Extreme-Executive Producer
Super-Corrupt Supreme Overload/Extreme-Executive Producer

Male
Number of posts : 683

https://nocrevushere.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum