Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Now that's a headline
George: What do you tip a chamber maid? EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 am by Kexer

» Hey guys wasup
George: What do you tip a chamber maid? EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am by Kexer

» Random Task
George: What do you tip a chamber maid? EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm by Andrew.C

» video Links
George: What do you tip a chamber maid? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm by Andrew.C

» Caucus Caucus Caucus
George: What do you tip a chamber maid? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm by Andrew.C

» Just Checking.
George: What do you tip a chamber maid? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 am by Andrew.C

» Pill that gets you a tangy tan.
George: What do you tip a chamber maid? EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm by MRac MC

» Other RTSs that aren't SC.
George: What do you tip a chamber maid? EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 am by Andrew.C

» The Dark Ages ended?
George: What do you tip a chamber maid? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 am by MRac MC

Poll

So, how many people still visit the forum?

George: What do you tip a chamber maid? Green_19100%George: What do you tip a chamber maid? Green_20 100% [ 6 ]
George: What do you tip a chamber maid? Green_190%George: What do you tip a chamber maid? Green_20 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

George: What do you tip a chamber maid?

5 posters

Go down

George: What do you tip a chamber maid? Empty George: What do you tip a chamber maid?

Post by Andrew.C Sun May 18, 2008 4:37 pm

A guy buys a coffee. Guy receives change from coffee which amounts roughly to 20 cents. As he goes to place the 20 cents in his pant pocket the woman who served him says to him, in a rude sort of fashion, “oh, I think you accidentally misplaced your change” whilst she pushes the tip jar pointedly towards him. After a second or two the guy sheepishly fishes the coin out of his pocket and places it in the jar.

I heard this on the radio the other day, in a segment called ‘the form guide’ if you were wondering, which deals with questions of etiquette and the like. So the question was: Is it ever appropriate for the staff to ask for a tip? The prevailing opinion was ‘no’, which seemed fair enough, but I wasn’t so much as interested in that but another question, which was about tipping in general. I’m rather green when it comes to these sorts of things and was just curious about people’s thoughts on the topic. Not to try and get all Reservoir Dogs or Seinfeld on you but: When/where is it that you find it appropriate to tip, and how much would you usually tip?
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Number of posts : 1622
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

George: What do you tip a chamber maid? Empty Re: George: What do you tip a chamber maid?

Post by Groove Champion Mon May 19, 2008 2:41 am

In Australia? Never.

In America jobs are classified as ones which earn tips and ones which don't. Jobs where you get tipped have a lower minimum wage because of this.
Groove Champion
Groove Champion
I think it's a video game.

Male
Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

George: What do you tip a chamber maid? Empty Re: George: What do you tip a chamber maid?

Post by Andrew.C Mon May 19, 2008 11:07 am

That America thing is a whole other story, one that irritates me... muchly, so I'll focus on the Australian one. You never tip? Ever? I'm not saying that in the sense that I think you're stingy — because I don't — but in the sense that I marvel at the gall you must possess to flat-out refuse to tip even in situations where, for example, they give you your change back on those damn little plates, and any change left on the plate is assumed to be the tip; I just find it impossible to take all the change off it. But I salute you, Mr.Pink.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Mon May 19, 2008 3:25 pm

I say never, but, well, umm...... yeah, I usually leave something when at a restaurant.

I just hate the way tipping is becoming more common here.
Groove Champion
Groove Champion
I think it's a video game.

Male
Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Mon May 19, 2008 4:58 pm

Yeah, it's annoying that it may be becoming the norm, and that if you don't tip you're seen as the one that's stingy, rather than it being them not deserving a tip.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Tue May 20, 2008 4:36 am

Restaurant bills: I'll round up to the nearest ten for the tip. Especially if you have a big group it just makes it easier to work out.

I almost never tip in a bar or anything unless I have way too much change.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male
Number of posts : 742

Back to top Go down

Post by Kexer Tue May 20, 2008 5:16 am

I kinda agree with marc on the restaurant thing but it generally depends on the service and how much money i've got at the time.

If the people serving me at a bar want a tip they need to do something specially cool (like a flip). It shouldn't just be "hey, i pulled this lever and beer went in that glass, THAT WAS FOR YOU.... moer munny plz".
Kexer
Kexer
Regional Manager

Male
Number of posts : 210
Humor : No thank you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Tue May 20, 2008 1:52 pm

Hey, if someone said to me "moer munny plz" I think I would definitely tip them. Especially if they said it in a Master Chief tone.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Wed May 21, 2008 4:29 am

I r guy who pored u drink.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male
Number of posts : 742

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:27 am

I came across this when watching Seinfeld, and thought it was pretty appropriate for this topic. It was one of his intros to the episode.

Have you noticed that every little place you go into lately has that tip jar on the counter? What is the service that this tip is for? I mean, isn’t the man just turning around? Isn’t that really all it is? I think we’re tipping people now just for the absence of outright hostility.
“Thanks very much, here’s a little something extra for not taking my head and smashing my face through the glass counter top. Real good service here.”
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:00 am

Tipping is becoming more common place, at least i think it is, because we were moving toward getting rid of minimum wages.

the last Liberal govt. had made a point of lowering wages and the like to try and make low wage earning more competitive, you know the whole Workplace agreements thing.

it's possible that our economy will follow the USA's lead in the next few years- something that i think wont work in a country with such a small population as ours.

but no- i think if you have to ASK for a tip, you don't deserve one. heck, when i worked in the cafe, we all averaged out the tips between all the staff, and on a busy week we would maybe get an extra $30 tops.
Glenjamin
Glenjamin
He's A Regular Charlie Church

Number of posts : 772
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum