Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Now that's a headline
Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 am by Kexer

» Hey guys wasup
Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am by Kexer

» Random Task
Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm by Andrew.C

» video Links
Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm by Andrew.C

» Caucus Caucus Caucus
Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm by Andrew.C

» Just Checking.
Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 am by Andrew.C

» Pill that gets you a tangy tan.
Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm by MRac MC

» Other RTSs that aren't SC.
Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 am by Andrew.C

» The Dark Ages ended?
Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 am by MRac MC

Poll

So, how many people still visit the forum?

Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! Green_19100%Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! Green_20 100% [ 6 ]
Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! Green_190%Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! Green_20 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!!

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! Empty Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!!

Post by Nick Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:40 am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/atomsmasher-may-prove-god-particle/2008/09/08/1220857456604.html
Nick
Nick
Super-Corrupt Supreme Overload/Extreme-Executive Producer

Male
Number of posts : 683
Registration date : 2008-02-21

https://nocrevushere.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! Empty Re: Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!!

Post by Andrew.C Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:03 am

Hell yes. Nice work. I was just coming on to mention something about that. I'm surprised at how much coverage the general media has given it: last night Andrew Denton interviewed Brian Cox (the guy who did the TEDtalk on the LHC) and then just a minute ago I was listening to them talk about it on ABC local radio.

...There's still been too much attention given to the wacko doomsday theories - and I'm also tired of them insisting on referring to 'the god particle' - but maybe some attention is better than none... maybe.

Here's the TEDtalk on the LHC, if you haven't seen it and wanted to. 20 mins.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Number of posts : 1622

Back to top Go down

Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! Empty Re: Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!!

Post by Nick Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:37 am

I have only heard about the doomsday thing from you actually. I would be interested to hear what they are crapping on about, just once though...
Nick
Nick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:40 am

Also in honer of LHC I will change my much loved avatar...
Nick
Nick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:45 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7543089.stm

also...

Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! Pikearobotrj6
Nick
Nick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:45 am

First of all, the super-collider will not super-explode.

Second, nice work on the link, again. That was cool. No matter how many times I hear some of those facts they always blow my mind: particles travel around the 27 km tunnel 11,000 times a second.

And about the data production:
"Anticipating the colossal amount of data the LHC's experiments would produce (nearly 1% of the world’s information production rate), a new approach to data storage, management, sharing and analysis was created in the LHC Computing Grid project."

About the doomsday stuff, I think Trev posted some articles on the forum about them, but I looked for them and couldn't find them. Maybe they're in the middle of the links topic.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:42 am

Awesome, check this one out.

SBS 10:35 pm Tues
The Six Billion Dollar Experiment

The Large Hadron Collider promises to recreate the conditions right after the Big Bang. By revisiting the beginning of time, scientists hope to unravel some of the deepest secrets of the universe. Within these first few moments the building blocks of the universe were created. The search for these fundamental particles has occupied scientists for decades but there remains one particle that has stubbornly refused to appear in any experiment. The Higgs boson is a hypothetical massive scalar elementary particle predicted to exist by the Standard Model of particle physics. (From the UK, in English) (Documentary)

Tonight!
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Kexer Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:51 pm

Me and Tom watched it in HD!
It was awesome.
Kexer
Kexer
Regional Manager

Male
Number of posts : 210
Humor : No thank you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:34 am

"Tom and I", and yes. Yes it was.
Nick
Nick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:42 am

Alex wrote:Me and Tom watched it in HD!
It was awesome.
Nick wrote:"Tom and I", and yes. Yes it was.
Sweet. Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool, despite absence of flubber, but I thought it ended a little abruptly. But that coulda been because I was hoping for more stuff.

Also, Nick, they played the LHC jive on the radio today. Swish. Here it is again for all those who missed:

http://www.videosift.com/video/The-Large-Hardon-Rap-Music-Video-from-CERN
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Boden Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:40 am

Alex wrote:Me and Tom watched it in HD!
It was awesome.

I thought you dorks were away for the week. Which is why tom isn't replying to my emails. Tom Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! Emot-argh
Boden
Boden
Boden

Number of posts : 66
Job/hobbies : hobs & jobbies
Humor : , sense of

Back to top Go down

Post by Kexer Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:40 am

Nick wrote:"Tom and I", and yes. Yes it was.
You weren't there Nick, it was just Me and Tom.

Boden wrote:I thought you dorks were away for the week. Which is why tom isn't replying to my emails.
They was just away for the weekend, now Tom is couch-ridden with a horrible sickness.

EDIT: He's back at work tomorrow. Horrible sickness = super flu!
Kexer
Kexer
Regional Manager

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:59 am

Alex wrote:He's back at work tomorrow. Horrible sickness = super flu!
Oh, that's why he hasn't been contributing. I thought it might have been because he was offended at me calling him a Peen-arse. Oh wait, I didn't do that. Well, better do it now then, before he gets back: Tom, you are a Peen-arse. Dancing banana
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:02 pm

Hell yes.

Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! Lhc

Google is back in my good books.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Kexer Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:27 pm

I only just found out that they are not doing "high-energy collisions" until the 21st of October. I thought it was going to be in the next couple of days.
Kexer
Kexer
Regional Manager

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:55 pm

You can't just go, BANG day 1 "high-energy collisions". You have no sense of theater do you...

Tisk!
Nick
Nick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:13 pm

Yeah, they got heaps of practice shots to do. Though, Good news, Alex! If you're looking for a job I suggest rocking up to the ABC (I think it was?) and telling those chump-ass journalists to "take a hike, you bumbs" because you just out-classed all of them with your fact checking expertise: I was watching the ABC when I'm almost certain I heard them describe that the celebration the scientists were making was in response to a flash of light on a monitor which "represented the first collision." They didn't even check if this was right??? What the shit?! This is exactly what that interview I put up about 'churnalism' was all about.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:07 am

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2008/PR08.08E.html.

new results could start to appear in around a year

LAME, someone get McGarnagle on the case.
Nick
Nick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:42 am

I think your link is broken. Or I just couldn't get it to work... though I didn't try very hard.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:00 pm

http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2008/PR08.08E.html

there is no dot at the end.
Nick
Nick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Boden Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:17 pm

Live LHC webcam:

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html
Boden
Boden
Boden

Number of posts : 66
Job/hobbies : hobs & jobbies
Humor : , sense of

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:34 pm

Nick wrote:there is no dot at the end.
gotcha.

Also, this is kinda in response to how we were talking about what what they would do with the LHC after they'd done sufficient collisions, and, well, I didn't find an answer to that but I did find something that said they would be running the thing for around 10-15 years... so I guess they must be doing something. Maybe gambling with each other to see how many 'trick-shot' proton collisions they can do in 30 seconds, or who can produce the most mini-blackholes in 1 minute without destroying the universe. But, at least I heard they have already made some suggestions for upgrades in about 10 years, so hopefully they can continue to use it for long after that.

Boden wrote:Live LHC webcam:
Ha! Yes, very funny.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:20 am

“So a couple of animals didn't die, and Leela got lucky. That's what I call a successful mission.”
Yay, 1 more day till LHC (end of the world)!!! Futur110

So, the LHC is up and running. Wasn’t that fun?
Hmmm...well, bring on to the next one, I say!

The ILC (the International Linear Collider). Sweeet.

This time I'm sure they’ll get it right and destroy the universe.

Last edited by Andrew.C on Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:52 am

Did you hear about India? Apparently all of india is obsessed with the fact that the LHC will destroy the world and some chick there actually comitted suicide so that she wouldn't have to watch it! They are all down on their knees praying that we don't get sucked into a black hole or something.

Still it would be good to know that it won't. I mean the stastical probability is astronomically against it but until we turn it on we actually won't know exactly what will happen,
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male
Number of posts : 409
Humor : Sardonic
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:45 am

But lets not forget just how cool this thing is though.
Nick
Nick

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next