Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Now that's a headline
Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 am by Kexer

» Hey guys wasup
Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am by Kexer

» Random Task
Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm by Andrew.C

» video Links
Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm by Andrew.C

» Caucus Caucus Caucus
Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm by Andrew.C

» Just Checking.
Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 am by Andrew.C

» Pill that gets you a tangy tan.
Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm by MRac MC

» Other RTSs that aren't SC.
Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 am by Andrew.C

» The Dark Ages ended?
Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 am by MRac MC

Poll

So, how many people still visit the forum?

Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial Green_19100%Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial Green_20 100% [ 6 ]
Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial Green_190%Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial Green_20 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial

+2
Glenjamin
Andrew.C
6 posters

Go down

Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial Empty Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial

Post by Andrew.C Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:20 am

It looks like it’s religion week on the doco scene, and here’s the first one. I thought it was adequately entertaining. It’s a two parter and the first part was already on Sunday, but you can watch the first part (or bits of it) on the SBS website. The 2nd is on this coming Sunday.

This program captures the turmoil that tore apart the community of Dover, Pennsylvania in one of the latest battles over teaching evolution in public schools.

Time: Sunday 8.30
Channel: SBS
Duration: 65 minutes
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Number of posts : 1622
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial Empty Re: Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial

Post by Glenjamin Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:01 am

I don't get why these people seem to believe that evolution and the bible are mutually exclusive
Glenjamin
Glenjamin
He's A Regular Charlie Church

Number of posts : 772
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Back to top Go down

Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial Empty Re: Judgment Day: Intelligent Design on Trial

Post by Tom Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:35 am

Because most conservative christians believe that they are.
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male
Number of posts : 409
Humor : Sardonic
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:28 am

What he /\ said. There's still a push in many parts of the world (fine, mostly in America) to ban evolution from schools and only teach creationism. It's bad enough that they brainwash their own kids but doing it to others reinforces my desire to speed up the death of religion.

That said.... here we go:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article5054745.ece

That pope dude agrees with you Glen (and many others).
Pirate
Groove Champion
Groove Champion
I think it's a video game.

Male
Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:52 am

They just dun like evolution, alright?!

Interesting article, Trev. I wonder why Hawking's directing the talk on evolution...? Good for him.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 pm

Spank you.
There is another article there called '10 surprising Darwin quotes' or something.

Basically he lost his faith in Christianity but he was never an atheist.
Pirate
Groove Champion
Groove Champion
I think it's a video game.

Male
Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:55 pm

I noticed that second article but didn't read it at the time... now I can't because it's gone.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:20 pm

More like "Out of Context Darwin Quotes For People Unfamiliar With Metaphor."
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male
Number of posts : 742

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:25 am

Yeah, i've gotta say Darwin was quite a strong Christian when he died, or at least his memoirs would suggest so quotes like "when i see His glorious face" and the like- he did however lose a lot of respect for the organised church.
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:29 am

I'm pretty sure he wasn't a Christian, and I'm almost positive he wasn't a "strong Christian". At least this is what I've heard from fairly reliable sources that don't have specific 'agendas.'

It seems likely that he's beliefs were what Trev mentioned: some form of Agnosticism.

There's not really any reason I can think of as to why he would keep his Christianity hidden if he was Christian, since his wife was strongly Christian and it pained her immensely (I hear) that he was agnostic, let alone what she would have felt if he had said he was an atheist (which he certainly may have silently been). Combined with the fact that the vast majority of people at the time were Christian and it would have been very difficult to go against the trend.

I know it doesn't really matter, because it's besides the point whether he was or wasn't (he most surely was Christian when he set out on the Beagle) but I just wanted to put that forth, because to suggest that he was a strong Christian just doesn't seem to add up.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:36 am

I have heard (though not read it for myself) that in his "theory of evolution" he was attempting to show the Glory of God in how diverse he had made the animals- funnily enough i heard this from one of my beach mission contacts (not a christian) who was deriding the whole idea, because he said that Darwin's theories were warped due to his Christian thinking... perhaps we should all investigate further?
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:09 am

Possibly. I think it is true that his realisation that the standard 'creation' story didn't hold water anymore wasn't a major impetus in his waning faith—he may have personally felt it not too contradictory with his beliefs, but I think it was more other emotional/personal things that contributed to his losing his faith e.g. the death of his daughter at a young age.

Having said that, Darwin was acutely aware of the indifferent nature of Nature, expressed in at least this one lovely quote:

"What a book a Devil’s Chaplain might write on the clumsy, wasteful, blundering low and horridly cruel works of nature."

That's only one quote, and he did express views about the beauty of nature etc. and maybe this was because of his personal belief in a creator (personally I doubt it), though, needless to say, that doesn't mean it's an inherit part of his theory but more just his own personal opinions. After all, we've come along way in understanding since the mid 19th century, and yes, Darwin may have been incorrect in some specificities of his theory inthings he couldn't foresee, as any theorist will be.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:07 am

It would seem Darwin died a non-christian, i read about it on Christianity.net, which had excerpts from the biography (by some dude called Moore), and specific quotes- it's interesting to note that people aren't sure about the death-bed conversion story, so they say "it probably didn't happen"... having said that, i don't know but the evidence is suggestive!

I still don't think evolution and the bible are incompatible- regardless of what others say, i'm not going to limit God to what i think He should've done.
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:15 am

Glenjamin wrote:I still don't think evolution and the bible are incompatible- regardless of what others say, i'm not going to limit God to what i think He should've done.
Sure. I wasn't trying to convince you otherwise.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:09 am

Sorry, i wasn't having a go at what you'd said more this:

Tom wrote:Because most conservative christians believe that they are.

Which is kinda like saying
Insert Name Here wrote:Most atheists agree with Dawkins' "The God Delusion"

Not really accurate.
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:39 am

Ah, I see. Sure.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:42 am

Episode 2, tonight.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:05 am

won't be home to see it- bummer
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:53 am

No, not tonight, you clod, two nights ago.

Also, no worries! you can watch it at sbs.com.au

http://player.sbs.com.au/programs#/programs_08/fullepisodes/latestepisodes/playlist/Judgement-Day-Intelligent-Design-On-Trial-Part-2-Full-Ep/
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:05 am

Wonderful... except for the clod bit.
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Simmo! Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:50 am

Scorpio wrote:What he /\ said. There's still a push in many parts of the world (fine, mostly in America) to ban evolution from schools and only teach creationism. It's bad enough that they brainwash their own kids but doing it to others reinforces my desire to speed up the death of religion.

You can't lump us in with those freaking martians! Don't blame Christianity because there are loopy people out there who claim to be Christian. It's entirely within Christian boundaries to question God, depending on the matter in which you question Him. To blindly follow anything with an iron mind is ludicrous.

For a fun example of wacky Americanisms, check out the Crazy rainbow lady.
Simmo!
Simmo!
CBD Headbuster

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:14 am

Even the bible questions God- that's what the Book of Job is- one guy, having doubts and asking God "What's the deal guy?"
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum