Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Now that's a headline
This is just Confusing! EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 am by Kexer

» Hey guys wasup
This is just Confusing! EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am by Kexer

» Random Task
This is just Confusing! EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm by Andrew.C

» video Links
This is just Confusing! EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm by Andrew.C

» Caucus Caucus Caucus
This is just Confusing! EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm by Andrew.C

» Just Checking.
This is just Confusing! EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 am by Andrew.C

» Pill that gets you a tangy tan.
This is just Confusing! EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm by MRac MC

» Other RTSs that aren't SC.
This is just Confusing! EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 am by Andrew.C

» The Dark Ages ended?
This is just Confusing! EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 am by MRac MC

Poll

So, how many people still visit the forum?

This is just Confusing! Green_19100%This is just Confusing! Green_20 100% [ 6 ]
This is just Confusing! Green_190%This is just Confusing! Green_20 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

This is just Confusing!

+2
Andrew.C
Glenjamin
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This is just Confusing! Empty This is just Confusing!

Post by Glenjamin Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:52 pm

Dawkins: I'm a cultural Christian

Ahem... What is that guy smoking? Christianity is not a culture, it's a faith (or if you will, a religion).
Glenjamin
Glenjamin
He's A Regular Charlie Church

Number of posts : 772
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Back to top Go down

This is just Confusing! Empty Re: This is just Confusing!

Post by Andrew.C Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:40 am

He was eating rotisserie chicken.

And I think the article makes sense, yeah? I think he’s just referring to the Christian culture i.e. its rituals. Couldn’t you say that Australia was (mainly) a Christian culture, for obvious historical reasons?

But what it also shows is that your personal vendetta against Dawkins is, perhaps, a little over the top. I mean, he’s seriously quite a mild character—I really don’t know why you focus your energy on him so much, as opposed to, say, Christopher Hitchens, or even Sam Harris, who both have much ‘stronger’ attitudes against religion (especially Hitchens).
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Number of posts : 1622
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Kexer Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:39 am

I want chicken...
Kexer
Kexer
Regional Manager

Male
Number of posts : 210
Humor : No thank you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:24 am

I mostly don't care about Dawkins (the article spun up on BBC News)- but no Australia is most definitely not a Christian country, for historical reasons.
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:29 pm

Glenjamin wrote:I mostly don't care about Dawkins
Yeah, and the English don't care about their football... You only bag Dawkins out every other time I see you, with little provocation I might add. And I was just curious to know why it was you chose to target him and not some of the others?

Glenjamin wrote:but no Australia is most definitely not a Christian country, for historical reasons.
Yeah, fair call. I forgot Australia is rather secular (thank goodness (in my opinion)). Then replace Australia with, umm, America, or Britain, in my previous sentence.

Wait, hold on a sec, I think there would be plentiful argument for saying that Australia is more Christian than any other religion (for obvious historical reasons). We've de-christianised many of its rituals (e.g. christmas, easter, marriage, Pope day, etc.) but they are obviously rooted in Christianity (at least in this country), whereas we have almost no (or very few) cultural rituals (that are nationally recognised) representing the other major religions.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:15 am

Secular? I'm pretty sure I just had that celebration of mass consumerism they call Christmas forced on me. Religious freedom my arse.
Pirate
Groove Champion
Groove Champion
I think it's a video game.

Male
Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:29 am

yeah christian culture. I am a product of christian culture. Our laws are founded on christian precepts. Our holidays are nearly all christian. And yet i don't go to church, but if someone forced me to pick a religion right now i would pick christianity because i know the most about it.

Judaism is a better example of this phenomena. When asked to define judaism it is almost impossible. Most people (70 percent!) who identify themselves as jewish do not attend synagogues or any religious sermons. Most of those actually believe themselves to be atheist but they still follow all of hte holidays etc because that is what they see as jewish. They identify with the jewish system without identifying with the faith.

I identify with the christian system without identifying with the faith. I would therefore put forward that there is a very strong sense of comunity and culture surrounding christianity and that one can be a part of this without actually believing in god.
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male
Number of posts : 409
Humor : Sardonic
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:53 am

Super King wrote:Secular? I'm pretty sure I just had that celebration of mass consumerism they call Christmas forced on me. Religious freedom my arse.
True. Though how many people in your family actually associate it with Christianity, rather than just a social get-together?

Tom wrote:Most people (70 percent!) who identify themselves as jewish do not attend synagogues or any religious sermons.
Is that in this country, or world wide?

Tom wrote:I identify with the christian system without identifying with the faith. I would therefore put forward that there is a very strong sense of comunity and culture surrounding christianity and that one can be a part of this without actually believing in god.
Amen. Well put.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:56 am

Andy/ Trev: i doubt most people identify Christmas with Christ, and i'll tell you why, ask most people on the street and they'll tell you that christmas is about peace, joy, family, gifts, sales and a whole host of other things- most don't even equate the nativity with mainstream christmas (i wish i could find the link for this, but a hornsby restaurant guy got sued for putting a small nativity in his own shop). and we have way more non-religious holidays than religious- Anzac, Australia, labour, New years days, and i'd say there's good argument that only easter remains as a Christian holiday.

Tom: whoa lots here- most people (I could make up a percentage if you'd like) equate Judaism as a race BEFORE it being a religion, and many that don't will still tell you they're jewish because that's what their parents are- the same goes for many catholic or Islamic folks. I think that's why many people are labeled "nominal" in their faiths. And yes, you can define Judaism quite easily- i have several good books you could look at.

Back to Andy:
Andrew.C wrote:You only bag Dawkins out every other time I see you, with little provocation I might add

A little bit of an over-statement, but if you'll cast your mind back to when i have, they've been (mostly) during conversations that relate directly to his field of work (which isn't all that well defined i might add).
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:20 am

Glenjamin wrote:I doubt most people identify Christmas with Christ, and i'll tell you why
Yeah, I agree with most of that (although you didn't really tell us "why"; you just told us how it was). Yes we have many non-religious holidays (of course - there are many things that 'deserve' holidays that have nothing to do with religions). But that doesn't mean that those other holidays weren't originally associated with Christianity, and the point still remains that even the little amount of Christian associated holidays that there are, there are still less (much less) associated with any other religion.

Glenjamin wrote:Back to Andy:
Andrew.C wrote:You only bag Dawkins out every other time I see you, with little provocation I might add
A little bit of an over-statement, but if you'll cast your mind back to when i have, they've been (mostly) during conversations that relate directly to his field of work (which isn't all that well defined i might add).
Yeah, sorry, it was an overstatement (just for effect). But still, I was just surprised that you'd never attacked any of the others in that "field," which I assume is loosely defined as the field that attacks religion, since I'm pretty sure you've never attacked (or noticed) Dawkins when he was previously dealing specifically within his science field.

I guess you could say his field was 'The public understanding of science,' at least it was while he still held that Chair. And probably still is.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:57 am

I think he just gets more press- so his views are brought to my attention more
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:39 am

Yeah, fair call.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:44 am

http://scienceblogs.com/tfk/2009/03/oklahoma_hates_richard_dawkins.php

They're trying to ban Dawkins in Oklahoma? Before his speeches? Oh, man...
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:20 am

As much as i dislike the man's views- he doesn't really cause Christians that much of an issue (except "extremists"), so why make the rest of us look bad by doing this kind of garbage?

I reckon (i have almost no facts to back this up) that Dawkins has indirectly added to the number of Christians out there, and while i disagree with his theories, let him keep putting out (read: funding) campaigns that get people into churches!
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:32 am

Glen, you say that about everything atheists do.
Nick
Nick
Super-Corrupt Supreme Overload/Extreme-Executive Producer

Male
Number of posts : 683

https://nocrevushere.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:55 pm

Mmm, I don’t know whether he’s increased the level of Christians—he may have, but not by a significant level, I think. There are certainly many non-Christians who simply won’t listen to what he’s saying just because they call it ‘offensive’ or ‘arrogant’ (that’s just the way people operate), and in that sense he’s been criticised (by the scientific profession and others) for his methods not being the most effective. But he’s not really that concerned with what’s effective; he’s more passionate about what’s true.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:18 am

Then why doesn't he just read the bible? (yes i understand we're not going to agree on that one)

In the UK they reckon he's 'helped' many lapsed Christians step up and affirm their faith publicly and in a more real manner.
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:49 am

Yeah, “lapsed Christians.” Doesn’t really surprise me.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:56 am

I'm all for Dawkins helping people back to church.
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:16 am

Uhuh.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:35 am

I notice you always fail to mention what he's doing for the Atheists side.
Nick
Nick

Male
Number of posts : 683

https://nocrevushere.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:22 pm

This kinda goes back to that discussion we had about potential American Presidents not being allowed to admit to their absence of belief.

COLUMN: Anti-atheist prejudice widespread in America

Article wrote:Americans find atheists a particularly repugnant minority. According to Gallup, they are more disliked than any other major religious group, with the exception of Scientologists.

Research by Gallup also indicates the majority of Americans would not vote for a well-qualified atheistic presidential candidate. Even a gay candidate, the data suggest, would face less formidable discrimination.
Unfortunately the "data" isn't provided, but still it's quite an interesting article by an "English junior."
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:39 am

This might be an odd thought but... aren't the laws of the USA based on Christian thinking? if the system is based on that isn't a practitioner better at working within that system?
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:05 am

Based on Christian thinking...? And what are you basing that on? The fact that the founders happened to be Christian (some of them)? I don’t think that that counts for the laws being based on Christian thinking. Also, I’m no expert, but I believe that when they made the American Constitution (if we’re talking about it) that they explicitly tried to avoid any appeals to any particular religion’s ideas, or even mentioning of religion (except in the ‘freedom of religion’ thing).

A practitioner may be better at working within the system, agreed; although, they’re less able to accept changes to the system when the people call for it. (But, as stated, I don’t think America is “a Christian system,” whatever that might mean.)
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:13 am

You apart from the whole "one nation under God" that kicks off the whole constitution, or the fact that the seal is under girded by "in God we trust"... I think if you researched the founding tenets of the US, you'd find that Christian Orthodoxy was at the heart of their thinking...
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum