Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Now that's a headline
Alcohol drinking EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 am by Kexer

» Hey guys wasup
Alcohol drinking EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am by Kexer

» Random Task
Alcohol drinking EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm by Andrew.C

» video Links
Alcohol drinking EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm by Andrew.C

» Caucus Caucus Caucus
Alcohol drinking EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm by Andrew.C

» Just Checking.
Alcohol drinking EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 am by Andrew.C

» Pill that gets you a tangy tan.
Alcohol drinking EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm by MRac MC

» Other RTSs that aren't SC.
Alcohol drinking EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 am by Andrew.C

» The Dark Ages ended?
Alcohol drinking EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 am by MRac MC

Poll

So, how many people still visit the forum?

Alcohol drinking Green_19100%Alcohol drinking Green_20 100% [ 6 ]
Alcohol drinking Green_190%Alcohol drinking Green_20 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Alcohol drinking

3 posters

Go down

Alcohol drinking Empty Alcohol drinking

Post by Andrew.C Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:35 am

So you've all probably heard about the alcopop tax thing being rejected (I'm not entirely sure about the specifics of it). Here's one article:

http://www.theage.com.au/national/16-billion-hole-after-alcopop-tax-fizzles-20090318-926j.html

My general question was more about alcohol and the consumption of alcohol in general. Do people think that there's a problem with the general consumption of alcohol, mainly in youngsters, but also in the rest of the population? Do teenagers drink more now than teenagers used to? Is it only a minority and therefore not a problem? Or not? Will taxing drinks have any effect?

Alcohol consumption is, in itself, quite an interesting activity, so any comments about that can be added as well. Or any other alcohol related things.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Number of posts : 1622
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

Alcohol drinking Empty Re: Alcohol drinking

Post by Groove Champion Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Just remember kiddies, it's ok to binge drink as long as it's beer, wine or straight spirits. Your government says so.
Pirate

I may add more later.
Pirate Pirate
Groove Champion
Groove Champion
I think it's a video game.

Male
Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:22 am

Which also kinda raises another question: Is there something wrong with the idea of 'alcopop' drinks i.e. the adding of strong alcohol to soft drinks in pre-mixed packages, and, let's face it, targeting the younger generation? Or is it no different than selling alcohol in general?
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:56 am

People of all ages buy pre-mixed spirits (don't use 'alcopop', that word is just part of the Labor propaganda).
Some 18yr olds like beer, some like Vodka Cruisers. I don't think the ones who like cruisers should be taxed more simply because their tastes are different.
When they first brought the tax in the government pointed out that you could get ~12 standard drinks for $13 by buying a 6-pack of Woodstock. What they didn't mention was that for the same price you get 40+ standard drinks from goon and that's what the kiddies drink. Someone who is 18 comes in, buys a cask of goon and then him a bunch of his underage mates get wasted.

If it was more than just a money grab and if they really cared about binge drinking then why set up a flat tax on alcohol based on standard drinks?
It is because they are all beer and wine drinkers?

This whole debacle is just more evidence of how democracy simply doesn't work.
Pirate
Groove Champion
Groove Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:07 pm

I hear that.

But, just to play the other side, what if someone said that we shouldn't allow these companies to exploit kids' 'desires' by handing them candy flavoured alcohol?

Anyways, this leads us to another question I think is kinda interesting: What's your opinion on alcohol consumption in general, and/or the consumption of 'illicit' drugs, and what is their place in society e.g. in your benevolent Trevtopia are 'illicit' drugs illicit, or are they permissible? Or does it depend on the drug?
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:33 am

Andrew.C wrote:
But, just to play the other side, what if someone said that we shouldn't allow these companies to exploit kids' 'desires' by handing them candy flavoured alcohol?
I don't think that adults who buy these drinks should be punished just because kids like them too.
They don't really target kids. Alcohol advertising doesn't exist in kids media and kids can't buy them so how they even know about them? Through their parents and other adults.
One of Labors main points wasn't kids it was legal age young women binge drinking on Cruisers/UDLS etc. They argued that these drinks go down to easily and have no alcoholic 'kick' to their taste but that is complete BS. Beer has no 'kick' to it's taste while a 9% pre-mix certainly does. There also seems to be an attitude amongst beer drinkers that alcoholic drinks shouldn't taste good....

Even if they are targeting kids I still can't understand how any intelligent, educated government can justify having a huge tax on one type of drink and not the others. It's unjust and brings me back to my earlier point that according to Labor it's ok to binge drink as long as it's beer, wine and spirits.
Pirate
Andrew.C wrote:
Anyways, this leads us to another question I think is kinda interesting: What's your opinion on alcohol consumption in general, and/or the consumption of 'illicit' drugs, and what is their place in society e.g. in your benevolent Trevtopia are 'illicit' drugs illicit, or are they permissible? Or does it depend on the drug?

Well you've got me there. By all rights drugs that have a detrimental effect on the individual and society are bad but alcohol tastes great, makes women appear more attractive and makes one virtually invulnerable to criticism.
Pirate

EDIT: Alright I've thunk 'bout it.
Let's not forget that Trevtopia will only by inhabited by intelligent people so all the 'nanny-state' laws that exist in this arse-end of the planet will not be necessary.
You want to smoke a bit of pot? Go ahead. Want to get drunk and have some harmless fun? Go for it.
If these actions result in other crimes then you will be banished.
Pirate

Last edited by Groove Champion on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Groove Champion
Groove Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Hey, an 'edit'. Lucky I checked this post again.

You see, here's a good example of the difference between class and whoredom: Trev will go out of his way to post relevant information in the same post, even though there's a risk that someone might miss it; whereas Glen over there is happy to go posting several single-digit word-count posts in a row even when they contain no content, as long as it contributes to the post count.

Nice going, captain Glen. cheers

Anyways, I hear what you're saying on the alcohol tax, Trev. A single tax on one type of alcohol seems pretty silly, and unfair.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:28 pm

and
Glenjamin
Glenjamin
He's A Regular Charlie Church

Number of posts : 772
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Back to top Go down

you
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

do
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:30 pm

the same... (too lazy to finish this game)

Trebor wrote:There also seems to be an attitude amongst beer drinkers that alcoholic drinks shouldn't taste good....

Are you saying that you don't like beer, so beer drinkers clearly don't like things that taste good? (Aiming to understand, not take the piss)
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:29 am

Well I don't like beer but that's a matter of personal taste.
That comment is based on the general attitude that beer drinkers had to the tax in the first place on other forums that I use. A lot of them supported the tax because there was no alcoholic 'kick' to the drinks and that they tasted too good which made them appeal to younger (not necessarily underage) drinkers.
I found both attitudes strange as beer has no 'kick' and I thought drinks were supposed to taste good.
Pirate
Groove Champion
Groove Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Sun Mar 29, 2009 3:38 pm

Not that i've read their posts or know who they are, but I think maybe they were aiming at this:

the Alcohol:Liquid content in Beer means there isn't as big a kick per mouthful, (and yes beer is definitely an acquired taste) and the sugar content in these premix drinks means younger drinkers won't notice the alcohol they're consuming... in any case it's late, i don't agree with the tax, but i do agree that ensuring easy to drink, high alcoholic content drinks will not benefit society, ergo, concordantly they should be made less appealing in some fashion...
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:09 pm

Glenjamin wrote:, high alcoholic content drinks will not benefit society, ergo, concordantly they should be made less appealing in some fashion...

We can continue to tease people who drink Cruisers.
Pirate
Groove Champion
Groove Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:52 pm

Agreed... But what about people who drink Coke Zero "It tastes just like coke!"
Glenjamin