Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Now that's a headline
Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 am by Kexer

» Hey guys wasup
Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am by Kexer

» Random Task
Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm by Andrew.C

» video Links
Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm by Andrew.C

» Caucus Caucus Caucus
Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm by Andrew.C

» Just Checking.
Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 am by Andrew.C

» Pill that gets you a tangy tan.
Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm by MRac MC

» Other RTSs that aren't SC.
Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 am by Andrew.C

» The Dark Ages ended?
Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 am by MRac MC

Poll

So, how many people still visit the forum?

Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. Green_19100%Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. Green_20 100% [ 6 ]
Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. Green_190%Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. Green_20 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom.

+4
Kexer
Glenjamin
MRac MC
Andrew.C
8 posters

Go down

Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. Empty Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom.

Post by Andrew.C Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:13 am

Inspired by the music subject I thought i'd add this book one (yes, I'm trying to get another variation on a book subject which will get more than 0 responses). So this can maybe follow on from that idea of that quasi book club that got sorta started on the emails. If you have an idea for a book you can put it up, even if it's not a suggestion for a book club thing, maybe it's just a book you are reading/read.

So here's a book I heard a review of on the radio this morning, it sounded ok. Then I read a review on the NYT, and it sounded less ok, but I think that was more because of the sucky, pretentious NYT reviewer. But I'm gunna put up this book-trailer for it because i thought it was a cool idea to have a trailer for a book, something I hadn't really seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43eIV2Kp3bs

Last edited by Andrew.C on Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Number of posts : 1622
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. Empty Re: Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom.

Post by MRac MC Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:30 am

Hey, that's kinda cool. Link for the NYT review?

Review of Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

I thought this book sounded quite interesting, I've been meaning to pick it up - if only I had funds for all the books I want.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male
Number of posts : 742

Back to top Go down

Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom. Empty Re: Books: If you aren't trying to reduce your boredom.

Post by Andrew.C Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:49 am

That does sound interesting , and I saw that Gaiman gives it the thumbs up.

Here's the NYT review
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:22 am

I thought that review made it sound pretty awesome. I'm making a note of this book. There aren't enough good female authors.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:52 am

Check out Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy

http://www.sfsite.com/04a/ques30.htm

This review is kinda boring, but the books are unreal.
Glenjamin
Glenjamin
He's A Regular Charlie Church

Number of posts : 772
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:07 am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/books/top-100-books-of-all-time/2008/10/04/1223013851889.html

Top 100 books of all time... OF ALL TIME! This is the general Australian population? *sigh*

First of all, you can’t have a whole series (Harry Potter) take up a single position, that’s stupid. Second, Harry Potter is at Number 1! Number 1!

Then, I counted not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4 but 5 Matthew Reilly books!!! ArrR!@!FGG#!!!
Is that all of them?!

This sickened me muchly, and I was not ashamed at all to discover that I’ve only read 1% of the books on this list (discounting some of Harry Potters).

Also, looking at this list and even some others e.g. TIME magazine's top 100 list and Harvard Book store's list I noticed a disappointingly low representation of Non-Fiction in them... shame.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Kexer Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:02 pm

That was a stupid list made by an idiot somewhere. Except for 68 (It by Senor King) and 75 (American Gods - Neil Gaiman, which, compared to the rest of the crap should have been listed at about -250. READ IT!)
Kexer
Kexer
Regional Manager

Male
Number of posts : 210
Humor : No thank you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:26 am

I know this is trite but i am going to say it anyway

If you haven't read them the Terry Pratchett kids book about tiffany aching are the bomb. Seriously good. Seriously Seriously Good.
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male
Number of posts : 409
Humor : Sardonic
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:48 am

Tom wrote:I know this is trite but i am going to say it anyway

If you haven't read them the Terry Pratchett kids book about tiffany aching are the bomb. Seriously good. Seriously Seriously Good.

I liked thouse ones.
Nick
Nick
Super-Corrupt Supreme Overload/Extreme-Executive Producer
Super-Corrupt Supreme Overload/Extreme-Executive Producer

Male
Number of posts : 683

https://nocrevushere.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:25 am

Damn tooting
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Simmo! Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:10 pm

Why is it whenever they do an internet thing of 'the worlds best' whatever, what they really mean is 'the worlds most popular whatever, voted by internet feebs who really just want an excuse to troll someone anyway'

Which is why a nike football boot was rated number seven in the 'greatest inventions of all time' internet poll, and FIRE was third!
Simmo!
Simmo!
CBD Headbuster

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:16 pm

I didn't know humans invented fire....
Pirate
Groove Champion
Groove Champion
I think it's a video game.

Male
Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:37 am

yeah- it's not like its a naturally occuring phenomena... wait a second!
Glenjamin
Glenjamin
He's A Regular Charlie Church

Number of posts : 772
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:50 pm

Hey, next time you want a cooked dinner, how about you guys just hang around until some fire occurs naturally? You might end up a wee bit hungry.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:41 am

I started my car yesterday....
Pirate
Groove Champion
Groove Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:00 am

HUZZAH!
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:38 am

Don't belittle my argument.
Pirate
Groove Champion
Groove Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:56 am

I will belittle anything i damn well please sir!
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down