Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Now that's a headline
How do they sleep at night? EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 am by Kexer

» Hey guys wasup
How do they sleep at night? EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am by Kexer

» Random Task
How do they sleep at night? EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm by Andrew.C

» video Links
How do they sleep at night? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm by Andrew.C

» Caucus Caucus Caucus
How do they sleep at night? EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm by Andrew.C

» Just Checking.
How do they sleep at night? EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 am by Andrew.C

» Pill that gets you a tangy tan.
How do they sleep at night? EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm by MRac MC

» Other RTSs that aren't SC.
How do they sleep at night? EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 am by Andrew.C

» The Dark Ages ended?
How do they sleep at night? EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 am by MRac MC

Poll

So, how many people still visit the forum?

How do they sleep at night? Green_19100%How do they sleep at night? Green_20 100% [ 6 ]
How do they sleep at night? Green_190%How do they sleep at night? Green_20 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

How do they sleep at night?

+2
MRac MC
Andrew.C
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

How do they sleep at night? Empty How do they sleep at night?

Post by Andrew.C Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:41 am

$500,000: that's how much our whole state will contribute, at the moment, to further developments in stem cell research; you know, that area of research with the potential to ease thousands of people's suffering.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/08/06/1997675.htm

Sure that's good and all but let's compare it to, oh say, some premier league football players:

Henry: £112,000, a week.
Ballack: £121,000, a week.

And here's some American sports clowns:

Shaquille O’Neal: £200,000 a week.
Alex Rodriguez: £250,000 a week.

http://money.uk.msn.com/guides/salarycentre/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4750681

That's muthaf'ing pounds!
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Number of posts : 1622
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

How do they sleep at night? Empty Re: How do they sleep at night?

Post by MRac MC Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:26 am

Henry plays in Spain. Point invalidated!
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male
Number of posts : 742

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:34 am

Fair doesn't really come into it. Thousands of people want to watch athletes do their thing. It's just a fact. It's not that they deserve the money, it's just that the money they earn is a natural outcome of the market surrounding professional sports. Stem cell research does not generate income, it just costs money; so it has to exist on subsidies and donations.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:24 am

Marc wrote:Fair doesn't really come into it. Thousands of people want to watch athletes do their thing. It's just a fact. It's not that they deserve the money, it's just that the money they earn is a natural outcome of the market surrounding professional sports.

You described it nicely, but that's all you did. Picture this 19th Century discussion:

19th Century Skeptic: "Hey, isn't slavery totally gay?"

19th Century tool: "Nah nah nah, you see, people want slaves. They're gunna pay for them. It's the market dude, face the facts. It's reality in your face."

This may be an accurate description of the way things are. The question is: 'Should it be the way things are?'

Marc wrote:Stem cell research does not generate income, it just costs money; so it has to exist on subsidies and donations.

What's all this guff i'm hearing about the market and generating income? Surely generating income just means that someone somewhere is willing to give their money for that something. I think "costing money" and "generating money" are the same thing (i think(?) ). It's just people don't usually wanna pay for medicine until they're the ones that need it.

Anyways...dictatorship. *rubbing fingers together in Zoidbergesque manner*
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:18 am

I don't think slavery really equates to professional sports.

By "generating" money, I mean that people invest in it, and other people pay for it, so that it's profitable. If you put money into research, all* you get out of it is research.

*By "all" I don't mean to belittle research. This is merely to illustrate the point that this is probably a commonly held view among people with capital.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:26 am

And why is it always my job to argue things I don't believe in/care about?
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:37 pm

$500,000: enough to say you contributed to important research but not so much as to piss off the religous nuts who are opposed to the advancement (ie. evolution) of the species.

Last edited by Trizender on Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Groove Champion
Groove Champion
I think it's a video game.

Male
Number of posts : 329
Registration date : 2008-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:38 pm

PS. On a big pile of money with many beautiful ladies.
Groove Champion
Groove Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Fri May 02, 2008 11:07 am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/funds-alone-holding-us-back-bionic-eye-team/2008/04/22/1208742940215.html

Same old story.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:54 am

Well, at least it appears they're gunna do the best they can (which is pretty damn fricken good) with the resources they're given. Go, you good thing.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/science/funds-boost-for-cloning-research/2008/06/19/1213770827359.html?sssdmh=dm16.320655
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:43 am

This is kinda related to this post.

What's people's opinion on modern day sportspeoples not being required to have a day job, whereas not even one generation ago professional sportspeoples needed to hold down a job as well as maintain their sporting prowess. Or does the dubious increase in skill compensate for the relatively sheltered/pampered existence of modern sportspeoples?
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:54 am

The increase in skill is hardly dubious, my man.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Groove Champion Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:38 am

I wouldn't consider the hours spent training each day to be 'pampered' nor do feel their jobs 'shelter' them any more than a non-sports job paying a similar amount.
Fact is the people who watch spectator sports pay their salaries so if they have a problem with it they can turn off their tv and play sport instead.
Pirate
Groove Champion
Groove Champion

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:18 am

Marc wrote:The increase in skill is hardly dubious, my man.
Explain how.

Trizender wrote:I wouldn't consider the hours spent training each day to be 'pampered'
Yeah, poor guys. Hours of playing a game they love. That would suck.
I would be doing that right now, for free, if it weren't for the fact that everyone else is lazy! (or maintaining their social lives or some crap, whatever) and I don't even love sports as much.

Trizender wrote:nor do feel their jobs 'shelter' them any more than a non-sports job paying a similar amount.
Good point. Maybe I would class them in the same boat. But we can ignore them for this argument, yeah? I don't think it detracts from the main line of argument.

Trizender wrote:Fact is the people who watch spectator sports pay their salaries so if they have a problem with it they can turn off their tv and play sport instead.
But maybe that's my point: Why people don't have a problem with it. And I don't think any more people watch sport today than they did previously...? So it can't be entirely attributed to just the viewers, can it?
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:49 am

Andy, seriously, you just have to look at the quality of the play even twenty years ago compared to now in just about any sport. The quality of play is sooo much better now, the skill of the players through the roof by comparison.

Look at pele play in some highlights, sure he was good but now days he would be MUNCHED by the goal keepers.

Look at an old baseball game and then look at today. The crispness of the throwing, the mindset of the players, the quality of the pitches... its all better.

And yes, its is a pitty that research doesn't get more dollars. But there are so many charities out there that do really good work that you can't give to all of them. Its a by product of capatalism, which is incidentally a working system when judged by the comparison to its peers.
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male
Number of posts : 409
Humor : Sardonic
Registration date : 2008-02-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:25 am

Yeah, that's probably true. I'm certainly not doubting that the quality of the equipment/fields has improved (which may contribute some to players' increase in 'skill'). This may be pedantic to pick just one sport, but I mention it because it's what recently brought to my attention to this question again. I think it would be hard to say that cricketers have gotten 'way better.' Batsmen didn't even have helmets! so they really had to rely on their ability. I'm not saying that they were necessarily better in old times, but they were probably no different. Same deal with tennis. Wooden racquets limited the diameter of the head so that it was, like, half the size of today's racquet heads—that takes skill to use.

Anyways, even if you're both right (which you probably are), and skill has improved. Does that justify the lack of a required outside job/receiving an overly bloated salary? I don't care how bad Pele may have been and how good Crynaldo might be; he certainly isn't 10,000 times as good.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:39 am

That is true. However the amount of money generated by any given thing is proportional to amount of people who will sponsor it. Sports give people enjoyment ---> people pay to watch them ---> money is earned.

Is it any worse than the ceo of a major conglomerate, lets say insurance, earning 700k a year? Of course not. The only reason people gripe is that sports star's are in the spot light.

You also have to look at the fact that the average career of a sports star is far less than that of, well nearly everything else, appart from President of the USA. This means that their salaries also have to reflect this.

I don't really care either way, but i can understand the reasons behind the sallaries. I also think that sport is possibly more deserving than many other high paying professions since it gives people something to look forward to, even aspire to, it creates enjoyment and gives an outlet for non violent competition. (except for english soccer fans)
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:27 am

I agree about the CEO issue (I think that's what Trev was getting at). In fact, I do probably think it's almost worse than that of sports stars. BUT, there's also the fact that I don't think people do gripe that much about sportsstar salaries, yet they DO gripe about CEO's. CEOs are probably universally disliked, whereas sportsstars are Fing loved—no, worshiped.

And you can't be seriously arguing that their short career life is a disadvantage? (actually, considering the amount of money they get paid for doing sweet F.A, I probably would agree) What, they can't get another job? Well, I guess they have no other skills, which isn't entirely their fault, but that wouldn't be a problem if they were required to maintain some sort of level of education and training outside of their play group.

I understand your point about the money generated just reflects the amount of money put in, but I think that that may be one of my main gripes. Should there be any sort of change (moderation) in public perception/attitude towards sports (in our own opinions, disregarding the futility of trying to change everyone else's minds)?

I agree that sport is a valuable cultural distraction/pastime (for whatever reasons), but it was still the same even before this ludicrous nuclear explosion in funding occurred; people didn't enjoy sport any less before when there was less money involved, and personally I think now it's lost some of its charm and dignity, or something.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:11 am

So is your argument that you don't like sports salaries specifically or just a generalistic gripe about social priorities in spending? Because if its a generalistic gripe i will jump on the band wagon and argue that way, but i am unsure what you want to argue about?

You seem to agree with all our points and then still get angry, which says to me that you aren't all that pissed off about the sport issue and are more pissed off about accountants (or more specifically the way priortisation is given to those things which are going to make money rather than those things which are purely altruistic in nature)?

I'm not having a go at you i just want to know how to respond to make this as interesting as possible.
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:42 am

Yeah, good point. Sometimes my rants do get a bit blurred, as I twirl in every direction—and just to make it clear, like you did, I'm not entirely angry or anything, I mean, I am a little outraged at the target of the topic, but I'm enjoying this discussion and am not getting too heated or anything.

Ok, I mainly picked sports because 1) I was listening to the cricket commentators the other day 2) it's true that sportspeople's salaries are often quoted in various media 3) I know comparatively more about what sports people do in their 'day jobs' than what CEOs of various companies do. And so for those reasons I've focused on sportsstars, although, as you've pointed out, it can, and probably should, be extended to other businesses. Which is why I'll ask you "Do you see a complete difference between the two?" I mean, I know you've mentioned the value of sport, which I agree with, but I don't see how that justifies the amount of spending on players.

So, to try and clarify as best as possible (because that last paragraph was kinda hazy): My gripe is of the more general nature, but I am just focusing on sports salaries as an example of the whole. I acknowledge that it's not really the individual sportsperson who is at fault (since they just take what is offered. Although, if they weren't just in it for the money and restricted themselves to just playing where they grew up, for example, then I doubt the prices would be able to sky rocket so high). Maybe some, maybe lots, of the fault lies in the population at large putting too much of a priority on sports: would managers (or whoever) spend so much on players if the general audience didn't care so much if they won or lost? Maybe some blame lies on the managers who are putting out these ridiculous financial offers to players. I don't know where the 'blame' lies exactly, I was just wondering if we do or do not evaluate it as a problem.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyman Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:14 pm

maybe they dont sleep at night... but maybe they have enough money, so they decide to donate to research...

If it was a problem, there would be no easy solution.

besides to work we need a goal or incentive, otherwise motivation lacks! so maybe these players just need a LOT of motivation Smile
it would be a dream job, but you are putting your body through a large amount of physical stress, regardless of the advanced surgery to help you recover, i would think it still pays a toll on you later...
Skyman
Skyman
All My Skills, All My Skills

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:20 pm

Skyman wrote:maybe they dont sleep at night... but maybe they have enough money, so they decide to donate to research...
Oh how I wish that were true.

Skyman wrote:If it was a problem, there would be no easy solution.
That's true. But then, most problems don't, do they? Now that's some philosophy!

Skyman wrote:it would be a dream job, but you are putting your body through a large amount of physical stress, regardless of the advanced surgery to help you recover, i would think it still pays a toll on you later...
Also true, but physical strains I think I could put up with if I had myself several mansions and a young crazy stripper wife. Also, I put myself through strains playing sports—my ankle has, and never will be, the same again—and everyone who plays sport does. And I payed for that. So, in essence, I do the violin thing in regards to their injuries. Although, their injuries can be more serious—and that could be a reason for them to not train as much and to take the game less seriously, yadda yadda...

p.s. I love the new avatar, Skyman. (Kudos to Glen. He's finally done something of value)
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:13 am

Also big ups on the avatar skyman, looks awesome.

Ok so the arguement is now branching and is two fold. On on branch we have the general dissatisfaction with social non-support of research and on the other a dissatisfaction regarding the inflated salaries of various professions. We also have a sub-argument, which is my favorite, over whether or not sport stars should be regarded in a different light to CEO's who could, in theory, be earning the same monies.

I will focus my energies, first on the CEO etc vs Sports Stars debate. And, as always, i will argue against Andy Two thumbs
Tom
Tom
Queen of France

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Skyman Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:20 am

Andrew.C wrote:physical strains I think I could put up with if I had myself several mansions and a young crazy stripper wife

thats right its a trade off (or incentive)

and I would like to thank Glen for my Avatar also.
althought what does it say on Glens as the white writing under "WHY" is to small...
Skyman
Skyman
All My Skills, All My Skills

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:38 am

It says "Because Mentok wills it!" A spectacular piece of redundancy.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum