Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Now that's a headline
Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 am by Kexer

» Hey guys wasup
Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2012 4:35 am by Kexer

» Random Task
Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 1:08 pm by Andrew.C

» video Links
Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:32 pm by Andrew.C

» Caucus Caucus Caucus
Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 2:22 pm by Andrew.C

» Just Checking.
Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 8:51 am by Andrew.C

» Pill that gets you a tangy tan.
Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:54 pm by MRac MC

» Other RTSs that aren't SC.
Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:12 am by Andrew.C

» The Dark Ages ended?
Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 9:08 am by MRac MC

Poll

So, how many people still visit the forum?

Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 Green_19100%Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 Green_20 100% [ 6 ]
Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 Green_190%Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 Green_20 0% [ 0 ]

Total Votes : 6

Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians

5 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 Empty Re: Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians

Post by Glenjamin Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:00 am

But you can test the historicity of the bible. Seriously. as i have previously posted we can look at the arguments of the early church itself, the attacks made by detractors, and the comments of neutral observers (historians and the like).

So yes, i will go into schools and teach students the facts of Christianity, i'll also teach my own kids the same thing- and i'll explain (to the best of my knowledge) what religions involve, and when asked i'll tell those same listeners why i think those religions are wrong.

Trust me, i don't force people to my way of thinking, to do would be stupid and counter productive- instead i'll keep presenting the facts (something Dawkins could not comprehend in his recent debate with Dr John Lennox), and praying for people- for me to do less would be evil.
Glenjamin
Glenjamin
He's A Regular Charlie Church

Number of posts : 772
Registration date : 2008-02-22

Back to top Go down

Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 Empty Re: Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians

Post by Andrew.C Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:36 am

Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 Crazy10

Hehe, Glen, you so crazy.
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Number of posts : 1622
Registration date : 2008-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:55 am

You can test for historical accuracy for certain events in the Bible (not all) but you can't test for miracles or for Jesus being the son of god.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male
Number of posts : 742

Back to top Go down

Post by Simmo! Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:20 pm

You're still missing the point. As you said, you would have no problem with people teaching their children about Christianity if it was fact. As I also mentioned before, to many, many people, it is just straight, undebatable fact. Should I not teach my child that the stove is hot, purely because I can't prove beyond shadow of a doubt that it would hurt them if they touched it? (in before 'OMGLOL YOU CAN NOOB' - You can show me burn marks + signs of injury, you can never, ever prove something 'hurts')

Besides which, I've seen things performed in Jesus' name that I can't explain by science. That offers us a feasible 'test' for miracles, and at the very least, offers evidence supporting God's benevolence, weighed against the absolute zero evidence that God doesn't exist.
Simmo!
Simmo!
CBD Headbuster

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-06-28

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:12 pm

You said that to some people it's a fact. That makes it subjective, not an objective fact, and as such, it shouldn't be taught as a fact.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Simmo! Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:56 am

Then what should be taught as fact? Almost anything could be considered subjective on that scale.

Personally, I have never been shot. People have told me that getting shot is bad, but who am I to believe them? Ergo, I should teach my children that getting shot might be bad, and they should experience it themselves to make up their own mind.
Simmo!
Simmo!
CBD Headbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:23 am

Being shot has measurable, provable, repeatable effects. The analogy doesn't hold up.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:19 am

Denying God has measurable results too- try reading Genesis 19:23-29... Now he's just being facetious! Bitch Slap
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Simmo! Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:41 pm

Marc wrote:Being shot has measurable, provable, repeatable effects. The analogy doesn't hold up.

See

Simmo wrote:As I also mentioned before, to many, many people, it is just straight, undebatable fact.

Just because there are effects that you refuse to or can't see, doesn't mean they're not there.

Also, remember this:

Simmo wrote:As I also mentioned before, to many, many people, it is just straight, undebatable fact.

and this:

and finally, these last few points:

1. Straight
2. Undebatable
3. Fact

And hopefully I won't have to say it again. Two thumbs
Simmo!
Simmo!
CBD Headbuster

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:59 am

Well, I rebutted that by saying "it's a subjective fact." You can't answer my argument by repeating your original point. Also, I said "measurable, repeatable effects." Effects you can test for and prove, not effects that believers assure you are there.

Anyway, I know it's a pipe dream to think that Christians or other religious types would raise their kids not to be religious. And I doubt I could keep my own biases out of raising my kids.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Glenjamin Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:05 am

Just thought i'd throw in that the Codex Sinaiticus is now being published online...

Check it out- the facts are there!
Glenjamin
Glenjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew.C Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:36 am

Awww, Glen. You missed out on the perfect opportunity to say "The truth is out there!"

Faith Vs. Religion Vs. Santa Claus Vs. The Martians - Page 4 Mulder10
Andrew.C
Andrew.C
Larry David In Training
Larry David In Training

Number of posts : 1622

Back to top Go down

Post by MRac MC Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:37 am

Ok, an older version of the same document is available, I don't see the big deal really.

I feel that this thread has reached an impasse and that we can more profitably debate things that we are not so entrenched on.
MRac MC
MRac MC
Taft! You Old Dog.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum